Friday, February 6, 2009

Expectations...


So I'm a first-time blogger and this is my opening post. This post is about diverse viewpoints and how "rules" and stereotypes can be confining. My english class is studying Jamaica Kincaid's poem, Girl, and in response, I have written my own poem. Unlike Kincaid's piece, this is more lighthearted. At times it is funny but it has a very serious underlying tone. Rules and conformity can control a person's indentity. Check it out and feel free to leave some comments. 


Benchwarmer



To An Aspiring Athlete:



Tie your shoes before entering the gym. Tight. Be on time. Being on time means be 15 minutes early. Otherwise you’re late. Coach does not like it when you are late. Coach is impressed when you are early. But that’s expected, so not too impressed. Come prepared – 30 minutes of mental preparation for the actual preparation. 14 minutes of pre-game-preparation-planning. 10 minutes of pre-game-pump-up-music-selection-preparation. Then you gotta pack your drink – preferably Gatorade or some other re-hydrating thirst quenching beverage – and I usually bring a snack-bag for the bus ride as well. Preparation includes an initial pre-game stretch, I know what you’re thinking and come on, don’t be lazy because the initial stretch is important. Now Game-Time. Well actually, no not yet. Relax on the bus ride. Get into the zone. Big game tonight and this is finally the chance you’ve been waiting for all season. You have sat on the bench long enough, practiced harder than anyone, and have endured harsh experiences as the ball boy. Put in your headphones. Turn on your music. And gaze out the window. You did get a window seat didn’t you? Well anyway, just think about that for the bus ride. This pre-game anxiety is normal. I guess you can say its another part of the pump up preparation process. Now inside the locker room. Change into your jersey. The locker room is usually quiet on a game like today’s. Coach will come in very soon. He’ll talk and strategize. You listen. Strategize too, but make sure to do whatever Coach says. This is a good time to stretch again. Loosen up and shake out those jitters. What’s the noise coming from outside the locker room? Probably the crowd or the home team introduction music. Yeah it gets nerve-racking but that’s the fun part of the game! Huddle up as a team. You are a role player and an important part of the team. High fives. Scream. Jump. Jog in place. Roll your head and stretch your neck. Loosen up. Time to go. Single file line. Yeah, I guess you can compare it to battle. Run out. Smack the door as you run out. The crowd starts to cheer. It’s okay to smile. Well its okay to grin but you still have to look somewhat tough. You know, intimidate the other team. Lay-up lines. Dribble dribble shoot. Pass. Dribble dribble shoot. Pass. Get pumped up. Loosen up. Game time. It’s okay not to start the game. Wait for your moment. Jump ball. Cheer. Be ready be ready. Coach put me in! Nope not yet. But be ready just in case because it could be any minute. Time out. Get water. Half full. Two cups in each hand. Don’t spill otherwise you’ll have to wipe it up with your own shirt. Good game guys. Keep working hard. Sit down and start cheering again. It’s okay, you are more than just a cheerleader. Coach just said go in! You heard him right! Go! Check in at the scorer’s table. The crowd erupts in cheer. Hard work. Run and play hard every play. I know you’ll do great. 

7 comments:

  1. Simple Jack--

    I have read a few high school athletic poems in a similar style tonight and I have to say I really enjoyed yours. I found it interesting that you can't tell if the speaker is being sarcastic and perhaps is really warning the "aspiring athlete" about the corruption in the sport. I was also intrigued by all the rules that go along with being a bball player... sounds pretty tough to me. I was wondering perhaps if you'd like to discuss it in more depth with me sometime in person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem really captures the feelings you have toward the coach and the sport in general. However, at points it is difficult to tell whether you are being sarcastic or serious, which makes this poem even more interesting to read because the reader can form their own opinion. I think you did a great job with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having played basketball for a long time in my life I know what it's like to be in this position. This poem really captures the moments before practice, after practice, pre-game, and post game. Everything is detailed to the T. I've actually heard coaches say those words to me so I know this poem is legitimate. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that, despite never have been much of an athlete, I too share the common dream of doing well in a sport. I think back to Reck Basketball in my only season: Eighth Grade. All I did was dream of making the big shot and being as good as everyone else... when I was pretty much a scrub. I think that just being passionate and having fun makes any experience enjoyable.

    I agree with Carly is right lol there are many double meanings. Its hard to guess what your trying to say

    ReplyDelete
  5. You capture the emotions and actions of the game before during and after the big game. i think what Carly and Corey are talking about the double meanings makes the poem more interesting to read because it will have a different effect on different readers. This was really good and captured the essence of rules of a basketball player.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, great poem. Even though I do not play basketball, I can totally relate about the pre-game anxiety because I am a swimmer. I especially like the part where you wrote that you can compare it to a battle. You added a lot of description and I can visualize everything that goes on in the game. Also, it was very funny how you added some sarcasm in; it makes me want to keep on reading to see what happens during the game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a very detailed poem. The imagery and writing style helped me feel as if I was on the bus, waiting for the game. It was very easy to visualize the scenery throughout the poem. I think that this can apply to any endeavor that one would be nervous before, similar to what Corey_Cantor said. Overall, this was an extremely thorough poem and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete